Lebanon Businessnews News

$465 million spent to help
refugees and the vulnerable
Assistance provided under plan to face impact of Syrian war
Share     Share on Facebook     Share on LinkedIn    
Over $465 million was injected into the economy through cash-based interventions for vulnerable families in 2023 under the Lebanon Crisis Response Plan (LCRP), according to ReliefWeb, a humanitarian information service provided by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

This amount represents 35 percent of the LCRP's funding available in 2023 and totaling $1.3 billion.

Nearly two million vulnerable people benefited from this assistance including around 900,000 displaced Syrians and almost an equal number of Lebanese citizens in addition to about 130,000 Palestine refugees in Lebanon and 40, 000 Palestinian refugees from Syria.

The Lebanese government and its partners, consisting of the United Nations and national and international humanitarian organizations, had appealed for an overall assistance of $3.6 billion under the LCRP in order to address the impact of the Syrian crisis. The appealed funding is intended for food security and agriculture, basic assistance, education, health, livelihoods, protection, water, social stability, shelter, energy, and nutrition.

The assistance provided in 2023 included $8.6 million in financial aid extended to more than 18,000 micro and small businesses through access to financial resources, cash, and in-kind grants. The support aims to protect and sustain these businesses and the job opportunities they create.

Moreover, nearly 20,000 individuals, 55 percent of them Lebanese and the remaining 45 percent displaced Syrians, were able to access temporary employment. These job opportunities were generated under labor-intensive programs, designed to provide rapid economic support to the most vulnerable and to contribute to a sustainable municipal, environmental and productive infrastructure.

From 2015 to the end of 2023, Lebanon received, under the LCRP, more than $9.3 billion in support for displaced Syrians, vulnerable Lebanese, Palestinian refugees and public institutions.
Date Posted: Mar 21, 2024
Share     Share on Facebook     Share on LinkedIn