Mobile operators’ contracts extended till years end. Pushing the sector forward for eight more months - Lebanon

Mobile operators’ contracts
extended till year's end
Pushing the sector forward for eight more months
Share on Facebook     Share on LinkedIn        
WatsApp
The Cabinet extended, yesterday, the contracts of the local mobile operators, Touch and Alfa, for an additional eight months. The sector has been facing this chronic contract-extension process since 2008.

Earlier this week, Minister Boutros Harb announced that he would personally operate the sector if no agreement concerning the tender was reached by April 29.

According to Wassim Mansour, General Manager of Touch, this unstable situation prevents, in general, any operator from implementing its business strategy. “Business plans are usually linked to five-year visions,” he said.

“We are well aware of the situation, but we are still active, with new products and better services,” he said.

The Ministry of Telecommunications presented the terms of reference for the tender to the Cabinet nine months ago. Mansour said that Touch will participate in the tender to re-operate the sector, when approved by the Cabinet.
Reported by Rana Freifer
Share on Facebook     Share on LinkedIn        
WatsApp
Date Posted: Apr 30, 2015